Monday, December 24, 2007

The fortune cookie says i love life

I don't recall ever wearing make up- save for a few smudged bits of lipstick every now and again- but i imagine that after a number of years of habitually wearing it, you'd be able to apply it, with some degree of success, without the aid of a mirror. No one does that of course, because mirrors are plentiful.

But one day mirrors disappear. I can't explain why anymore than i can explain why otherwise sane people paint their faces. But they disappear. Then make up must go on by feel, by memory, with peers providing the only assurance that it has been applied correctly. Across time there will be creep in what is conceived of as "correct" application. That is a shift in culture, and it occurs with or without mirrors. Is it more or less drastic without mirrors?

Then perhaps there are no peers. There is no assurance that make up has been correctly applied. Does the use of make up cease? Or does use continue via the the memory of the motions that once constituted "correct" application. In either case, does culture exist? If it does, does it shift more or less rapidly?

Do the same conclusions hold in other areas- say, the wearing of vests? The annual hanging of stockings? Taking in dinner and a movie? Reading this?

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

This is very interesting. I'm not quite sure I know how to apply makeup "correctly." Perhaps you could give me lessons?

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home